[csw-users] OpenCSW question about package rrdtool

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Sat Oct 5 18:28:08 CEST 2013

Hi Brent,

Am 05.10.2013 um 18:13 schrieb brent.cadd at genband.com:
> I\'m attempting to use the rrdtool with perl based threads but the
> CSWpm-rrdtool appears to be based on non-thread usage.  I\'m seeing
> the rrd thread library in place (/opt/csw/lib).
>
>> l /opt/csw/lib | grep rrd
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          18 Oct  5 11:33 librrd_th.so.4 -> librrd_th.so.4.2.0
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     bin       382400 Jan 24  2012 librrd_th.so.4.2.0
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          15 Oct  5 11:33 librrd.so.4 -> librrd.so.4.2.0
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     bin       384812 Jan 24  2012 librrd.so.4.2.0
>
> But, does csw allow a package (eg. CSWpm-rrdtool_r ) to exist which
> has the perl environment enabled to use the thread rrd library?  Or
> do we have to point a configure parameter at the librrd_th.so.4 file
> somewhere within the /opt/csw/lib/perl directory to be able to use
> the RRDs::create_r routine, perhaps???
>
> Not sure how to get the csw environment setup correctly…

Are you sure it is possible at all to use the thread-safe API in a Perl threads
environment? Some years ago it was not:
  https://lists.oetiker.ch/pipermail/rrd-developers/2005-November/001635.html
From what I see I doubt the threadsafe-functions were included by now:
  https://github.com/oetiker/rrdtool-1.x/blob/master/bindings/perl-shared/RRDs.xs#L168

Please understand that adding this feature is would be upstream work for Tobi et al.
and is beyond the scope of a packaging project. But as I may be mistaken you could
ask on the rrdtool developts mailing list:
  http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/support.en.html

It would be nice if you would drop me a note about your findings.
If you have further suggestions on enhancing the packaging or adding compile
flags just let me know.