[csw-users] GCC 4.8.1

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Thu Sep 19 13:33:16 CEST 2013

2013/9/19 Dmitri Shubin <sbn at tbricks.com>
> Is it possible to upgrade GCC to 4.8.1?

TL;DR there's extra work needed because the current package is broken
/ not rebuildable out of the box

Unfortunately, extra work is needed, so it's not just about bumping up
the sources version in the build recipe. In our builds, we append the
version to the binary names. For example, we have
"/opt/csw/bin/gcc-4.8" instead of "/opt/csw/bin/gcc". Then, during
package installation, we are making symlinks from e.g.
/opt/csw/bin/gcc to /opt/csw/bin/gcc-4.8 - so everything works as
expected. The problem is that in the 4.8.0 version the gcc build
started appending versions to all the /opt/csw/bin/gnat* binaries and
we haven't noticed. So now we have a package which doesn't make
symlinks for gnat* binaries, which causes the gcc rebuild to fail. We
have to make some ad-hoc symlinks on the buildfarm to fix this
temporarily and build a package which adds symlinks to all the gnat*
binaries during installation.

I'm the mainatiner, but I've already got a lot of things to do, so
I've been putting it off. I've just talked to Dagobert, and he's
agreed to help me with this. I'll keep you posted.

Maciej