what is cas_crontab?

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Fri Jan 16 14:18:50 CET 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 12:46 AM, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:
> OK, nice to know the right name, but that name also fails in the
> search box at pointed to by the cas_crontab page
>  ( http://www.opencsw.org/manual/ )

We have documentation in (at least) two places, Dago pointed you to
the correct url for cas_crontab, on the web site it's called Project
Wiki.

>> You can find the build definition here:
>>   https://buildfarm.opencsw.org/source/xref/opencsw/csw/mgar/pkg/cswclassutils/trunk/
>
> Thanks.  I still did not understand specifically what these lines can
> do.  Is it just the ability to add crontab entries `en-masse' to a group
> of users?

It's not meant for end users, it's pulled in as a dependency to
packages needing entries in crontab. We have a bunch of packages with
class action scripts that take care of standard tasks such as creating
users, SMF manifests, keeping state of configuration files during
package upgrades and so on. Makes it easier for a package maintainer
to get that stuff right the first time.

It's part of cswclassutil which contains all of them and that one in
turn is used by many of our packages.

/peter