MySQL issues on Solaris 11/sparc

Laurent Blume laurent at opencsw.org
Wed Nov 4 21:08:35 CET 2015

Hello all,

Dagobert has pointed out that the MySQL packages don't work on Solaris
11/sparc, failing with this error:

151104  9:56:09 [Note] /opt/csw/libexec/mysqld (mysqld 5.5.46) starting
as process 19236 ...
151104  9:56:09 [ERROR] Initialization of transaction delegates failed.
Please report a bug.
151104  9:56:09 [ERROR] Aborting

This seems to be a known bug about which Oracle does not give much of a
shit, since they provide a magical «fix», but no solution.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/dimstat/596RKYcVPIQ
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dimstat/GiewfGElRZk

The workaround is to use the MySQL 5.6 package in 64 mode. Edit or
create /etc/opt/csw/csw.conf after installing it, and add this line:

mysql56_arch=sparcv9

I'll make it use 64 bit as default instead of the historical 32 with the
5.6.27 update coming soon.

MySQL 5.5 32 bit, MySQL 5.5 64 bit, MySQL 5.6 32 bit, all have the same
issue on Solaris 11/sparc exclusively.

I will not investigate further. If somebody wants to, you're welcome to it.

Regards,

Laurent