Update a local mirror

Maciej Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sat Dec 9 20:30:26 CET 2017

Hi Manori,

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 06:11:40AM +1100, Manori Atapattu via users wrote:
> We have a local mirror setup with a  full copy of opncsw repository.
> I want to know if there's a way to update the local repository with a
> mirror site of our choice - to update the catalog and the packages.
> Or do we need to use rsync to update the local repository with the packages.

It took me a while to figure out what is it that you're asking about. I looked
at the local mirror instructions[1], and that helped. You probably did something
like:

rsync -aH --delete rsync://rsync.opencsw.org/opencsw/ /export/mirror/opencsw

…and you're asking if you can use something else instead of
"rsync://rsync.opencsw.org/opencsw/". I think you can, but this depends on the
mirror you choose. Depending on the mirror you choose from [2], you might use
FTP, HTTP and/or sync. To discover whether a certain mirror supports rsync or
not, try looking for information on their website, or just try querying it using
rsync. For example, I tried this as a test:

rsync rsync://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/opencsw/README .

…and it worked.

Maciej

[1]: https://www.opencsw.org/manual/for-administrators/mirror-setup.html
[2]: http://mirror.opencsw.org/status/