Dollar in file name

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Apr 30 14:36:18 CEST 2020

Hi Gabor,

Am 30.04.2020 um 12:58 schrieb Gábor Csárdi <csardi.gabor at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 7:40 AM Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> Am 30.04.2020 um 04:59 schrieb Gábor Csárdi via users <users at lists.opencsw.org>:
>>> I happen to have two files with '$' characters in their names, and
>>> `mgar package` fails because apparently pkgmk does not handle this.
>>>
>>> Is there a workaround? Is it possible to rename the files, and then
>>> rename them back after installation? They are not needed during
>>> compilation.
>>
>> You can rename these during postinstall, but I would recommended to not use
>> files with such names. The same applies for files with spaces which also
>> cannot be installed with pkgmk. A solution would rename the files upfront with
>> some kind of escaping, then call pkgmk and either a postinstall script or
>> a class action script that would rename the files back. However, I would
>> recommend to change the software to use the files with the changes names
>> (e.g. _ instead of space and some other charachter instead of $).
>
> Thanks! It is unfortunately not up to me to choose the filenames, and
> changing this upstream is pretty hopeless. I also cannot easily change
> it in a patch, because these files are referred to in other files.
>
> I am having a hard time finding more docs on Makefile files for the
> build system, can you point me to the right place?

Best is to start with the maintainer docs:
  http://wiki.opencsw.org/maintainers
There is also a doc to class action scripts.
You can take a look at postinstall scripts, best by example with
something like
  dam at login [login]:/home/dam/mgar/pkg > ls -l */trunk/files/*postinstall*

If you have further troubles just drop me a note.

Best regards

  — Dago