compiler used to build perl for XS extensions not found on cfarm211

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sun Jan 21 19:20:05 CET 2024

Hello,

I am trying to rebuild and test GNU Texinfo on the Solaris 11 Cfarm,
cfarm211.  This is in order to investigate a failure on the opencsw
build farm buildbot for GNU Texinfo, and also more generally to be able
to test GNU Texinfo directly on cfarm211.

The Cfarm admins recommended me to ask for advice/help on
buildfarm at opencsw.org as the Cfarm Solaris machines are provided by
opencsw, so here I am.

An issue I have run into is that the compilers used to build the XS
extensions used in GNU Texinfo and in perl modules should be the one
used to build perl, but they do not seem to be available.

In more details, the perl installed in the PATH seems to be perl 5.12.5
according to perl -v:

$ perl -v
This is perl 5, version 12, subversion 5 (v5.12.5) built for sun4-solaris-64int

To get the compiler used to build perl, I use the following:

$ perl -V:cc
cc='cc';
$ cc
-bash: cc: command not found

I can find gcc and set it as compiler, but the options seem to be
solaris cc options and in any case, my understanding is that it is not
recommended to use another compiler than the one used to build perl.

Excerpts of perl -V:
    cc='cc', ccflags ='-I/usr/gnu/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPERL_USE_SAFE_PUTENV',
    optimize='-xO3 ',
    cppflags='-I/usr/gnu/include'
    ccversion='Sun C 5.10 SunOS_sparc Patch 141861-07 2010/12/09', gccversion='', gccosandvers=''
    ld='cc', ldflags =' -L/usr/lib -L/usr/ccs/lib   -L/lib -L/usr/gnu/lib '
    libc=/lib/libc.so, so=so, useshrplib=true, libperl=libperl.so
    dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags='  -R /usr/perl5/5.12/lib/sun4-solaris-64int/CORE'
    cccdlflags='-KPIC', lddlflags='-G -L/usr/lib -L/usr/ccs/lib   -L/lib -L/usr/gnu/lib'

The same issue arise with /opt/csw/bin/perl.  I came to that other perl
while trying to use cpan to build some modules, as this perl is found
with cpan.  Seems to be perl 5.10.1

/opt/csw/bin/perl -v
This is perl, v5.10.1 (csw-5.10.1*) built for sun4-solaris-thread-multi

The output of /opt/csw/bin/perl -V still shows the the use of solaris
compiler, but with different values than for the perl in the PATH.

Here is what I get when trying to to use cpan:
$ cpan B::COW
/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc -c    -D_REENTRANT -xO3 -m32 -xarch=sparc -I/opt/csw/bdb48/include -I/opt/csw/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPERL_USE_SAFE_PUTENV -xO3 -m32 -xarch=sparc    -DVERSION=\"0.007\" -DXS_VERSION=\"0.007\" -KPIC "-I/opt/csw/lib/perl/5.10.1/CORE"   COW.c
sh: /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc: not found

I would be interested in being able to use perl 5.10.1, as it is more
relevant for porting issues, and it is the same perl used by the
opencsw buildbot, but being able to test with the perl in the PATH could
be nice too.

Would you have any advice for me/for the Cfarm admins on that issue?

Thanks in advance,

--
Pat