compiler used to build perl for XS extensions not found on cfarm211

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue Jan 23 20:48:38 CET 2024

Hi Patrice,

> Am 21.01.2024 um 19:20 schrieb Patrice Dumas via buildfarm <buildfarm at lists.opencsw.org>:
> I am trying to rebuild and test GNU Texinfo on the Solaris 11 Cfarm,
> cfarm211.  This is in order to investigate a failure on the opencsw
> build farm buildbot for GNU Texinfo, and also more generally to be able
> to test GNU Texinfo directly on cfarm211.
>
> The Cfarm admins recommended me to ask for advice/help on
> buildfarm at opencsw.org as the Cfarm Solaris machines are provided by
> opencsw, so here I am.

Excellent, thanks for taking care of Solaris ports!

> An issue I have run into is that the compilers used to build the XS
> extensions used in GNU Texinfo and in perl modules should be the one
> used to build perl, but they do not seem to be available.
>
> In more details, the perl installed in the PATH seems to be perl 5.12.5
> according to perl -v:
>
> $ perl -v
> This is perl 5, version 12, subversion 5 (v5.12.5) built for sun4-solaris-64int
> (with 7 registered patches, see perl -V for more detail)
>
> To get the compiler used to build perl, I use the following:
>
> $ perl -V:cc
> cc='cc';
> $ cc
> -bash: cc: command not found
>
> I can find gcc and set it as compiler, but the options seem to be
> solaris cc options and in any case, my understanding is that it is not
> recommended to use another compiler than the one used to build perl.
>
> Excerpts of perl -V:
>    cc='cc', ccflags ='-I/usr/gnu/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPERL_USE_SAFE_PUTENV',
>    optimize='-xO3 ',
>    cppflags='-I/usr/gnu/include'
>    ccversion='Sun C 5.10 SunOS_sparc Patch 141861-07 2010/12/09', gccversion='', gccosandvers=''
>    ld='cc', ldflags =' -L/usr/lib -L/usr/ccs/lib   -L/lib -L/usr/gnu/lib '
>    libc=/lib/libc.so, so=so, useshrplib=true, libperl=libperl.so
>    dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags='  -R /usr/perl5/5.12/lib/sun4-solaris-64int/CORE'
>    cccdlflags='-KPIC', lddlflags='-G -L/usr/lib -L/usr/ccs/lib   -L/lib -L/usr/gnu/lib'
>

> The same issue arise with /opt/csw/bin/perl.  I came to that other perl
> while trying to use cpan to build some modules, as this perl is found
> with cpan.  Seems to be perl 5.10.1
>
> /opt/csw/bin/perl -v
> This is perl, v5.10.1 (csw-5.10.1*) built for sun4-solaris-thread-multi
>
> The output of /opt/csw/bin/perl -V still shows the the use of solaris
> compiler, but with different values than for the perl in the PATH.
>
> Here is what I get when trying to to use cpan:
> $ cpan B::COW
> /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc -c    -D_REENTRANT -xO3 -m32 -xarch=sparc -I/opt/csw/bdb48/include -I/opt/csw/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPERL_USE_SAFE_PUTENV -xO3 -m32 -xarch=sparc    -DVERSION=\"0.007\" -DXS_VERSION=\"0.007\" -KPIC "-I/opt/csw/lib/perl/5.10.1/CORE"   COW.c
> sh: /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc: not found
>

> I would be interested in being able to use perl 5.10.1, as it is more
> relevant for porting issues, and it is the same perl used by the
> opencsw buildbot, but being able to test with the perl in the PATH could
> be nice too.
>
> Would you have any advice for me/for the Cfarm admins on that issue?

Well, the Sun Studio 12 and 12u1 compilers have install scripts that unfortunately
don’t run on Solaris 11. For now I copied over the respective pathes from the
Solaris 10 cfarm210 machine and it seems to work. Please give it a go but be
advised that some stuff of the compiler may still be missing. If this happens
please let mw know and I’ll investigate what we can do.

Best regards

  — Dago