[csw-maintainers] IMPORTANT: Transition to mGAR

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Fri Nov 28 11:03:37 CET 2008

Hi Phil,

Am 28.11.2008 um 00:11 schrieb Philip Brown:

> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 11:52:46PM +0100, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
>>> Now I want to add a new perl module, what's the procedure ?
>>

>> Try this:
>>
>> 	• svn -N co https://gar.svn.sf.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/pkg/cpan
>> 	• cd cpan
>> 	• gmake newpkg-My-New-Module
>> 	• cd My-New-Module/trunk
>> 	• Edit the Makefile etc.
>> 	• svn add <file> for everything valuable in your package
>> 	• cd ../..
>> 	• svn -m "cpan/My-New-Module: Initial commit" commit
>>
>> Feedback as always welcome.
>
> It might be nice, if it were possible to make some kind of set of
> wrappers.
>
> something along the lines of
>
> $ [makenewproj]
>    (which pulls down a bunch of templates)
>
>    (or contrariwise, [getmyproj], which pulls down the relevant
>         stuff)
>

> $ [savemystuffs]
>

> Having to manually do a bunch of svn stuff, seems like kind of a
> hassle.
> especialy with typing that longugly(tm) stuff to the svn repository.
> seems
> like that should be made transparent somehow. it's extremely ugly,
> to my
> eyes.

SVN does introduce some complexity, true. But I think it is
not that hard. The problem is bootstrapping GAR checkout.
Once you have GAR the complexity can be hidden in the Makefiles
(which I did with newpkg-*). I don't know if a 3-line
shellscript wrapping 'svn co', 'svn add' and 'svn commit' will
really help here. At least I can't think of a solution that makes
usage easier. Anybody more ideas?

Maybe a GAR package that includes some bootstrapping stuff would help?