[csw-maintainers] Buildbot

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Tue Aug 4 17:44:22 CEST 2009

Excerpts from Peter FELECAN's message of Tue Aug 04 11:26:47 -0400 2009:

> Subversion it's alright. Lets not move too far in the future as some are
> still in the far past... who said SCCS? Oh my, I used this for 10 years
> in the 80s and 90s.

I'm not proposing that we would/should change away from svn.  I'm just
trying to avoid making decisions that would hamstring us in the future
if we ever wanted/needed to...

> The issue with this is that to work I need to commit in an additional
> repository, from my point of view who has one here, hundreds of
> components among them: the build system and the recipes; also it will be
> necessary to adapt my build system in the buildbot context --- don't
> tell me that it isn't the case, I have many years of regression testing,
> which implies automatic builds. Thus, as I wrote earlier, I don't think
> that I have the motivation to find the energy to do this.

>From my perspective, I'm only thinking about the issue of getting all
build recipies (GAR or otherwise) into the svn tree.  While I think
that the automated build system is a good idea and could be useful,
it's not something I'm pushing as a primary goal...I'll leave that for
those that have knowledge of such systems, etc.  I'd just like to
ensure we don't lose knowledge of how to build various things.

If you moved your code into svn, you could forgo the old repository,
no?  You'd be duplicating effort to maintain it in both...

[Not trying to push, just being hopeful.]

Thanks

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.