[csw-maintainers] CSWcswclassutils: it wants to write in /usr

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Dec 10 20:55:49 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 11:10 AM, James Lee <james at opencsw.org> wrote:

> There is the possibility that a later classutils won't be compatible with
> older installed packages when they eventually require update and so I
> object to the principle of requiring global installation and a common
> version.

Well, if we were talking about [random anonymous 3rd party vendor], I
can see how this is a concern. but seeing as how WE are the vendor...
I think we can put this concern to bed fairly easily ;-)

A quick off-the-cuff solution:

We declare that classutils implementations must be backwards
compatible. If you want to do something incompatible,you must do it in
a newly named class.

Problem solved?

> If I had the solution I'd have made a suggestion long ago.  I'm saying
> although I haven't complained myself I do support anyone else for whom
> it is an issue and I support the quest for an alternative.

ah. fair enough there. i wouldnt ever say "this is perfect, i'm going
to ignore any other proposals for alternatives". I would say that I
just want other alternatives to be *at least as good*.

> It might be possible to use the existing build/sed classes and provide
> developer tools that write the necessary code to work with those classes.
> I make ghostscript, groff and some others to install the correct paper
> size using request and the existing build class.  I've no idea if the
> standard classes would work or if another technology is needed but as
> long as CSW needs to write to /usr there is room for improvement.

Well, there are probably some things for which we can use existing sun
provided classes.
But they ARE *very* limited.