[csw-maintainers] CSWcswclassutils: it wants to write in /usr

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Dec 22 18:15:30 CET 2009

I was just reminded of something that I hadn't mentioned much on the
list before now.

When I first came up with the idea of us using class action scripts, I
had always thought that it would be beneficial to also provide some
utils to run needful things manually (primarily for the case of nfs
shared /opt/csw)

Before now, this has not been seen as important. But now would seem to
be a good time to bring this up again :)

if we provide an alternative CSWcswclassutils package, whose function
is, "go run actions that normally get done at pkgadd time", then we
could cover the very small amount of people who are "blocked" by our
regular version of the package deploying to /usr.

This would be an ALTERNATIVE to our regular  package, rather than replacing it.

the major changes required would be:

1 making sure all cswclassutils input files are homed under /opt/csw
instead of /etc

2 providing an alternative implementation script, for each of our
class actions in use.

( and possibly 3: providing some sort of automated hook for scanning
for "new" packages that haven't had their class actions run for them )