[csw-maintainers] Thematics month proposal

Trygve Laugstøl trygvis at opencsw.org
Sun Jan 18 22:59:53 CET 2009

Philip Brown wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 10:34:38PM +0100, Trygve Laugst�l wrote:
>>  From what I can tell the major point WRT to the release process is
>> getting every rule written down or put into code as a part of chkpkg.
>
> And that is intrinsically impossible. It is impossible to write down
> EVERYTHING, just as it is impossible to write a computer program to
> automatically write any new computer program you want.
> It's impossible to code checkpkg to cover "everything".
> It's a little easier to write down descriptions of what
> things not covered by checkpkg should look like. But there will always
> be exceptoins.
> At some point, there always comes a need for a human being to make a
> decision of "yes this is acceptible/no this is not".
> Peter seems to want to completely eliminate any human inspection of
> packages.

Peter's point is that he want more than one person to decide.

> I say that this is not possible. Given that I have been inspecting
> packages for 6 years now, I hope that the majority of people will trust
> my experience on this.
>
> I'll agree there is some room for improvement, though.

Continuous improvement is important and all I'm asking for. In
particular for a volunteer-based project like OpenCSW it is important to
keep the changes small so that they can be realized, but at the same
time never stop to improve and become better.

--
Trygve