[csw-maintainers] Change python modules catalog names to have a py_ prefix (instead of just py)?

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Sun Nov 15 14:15:01 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> This is a good writeup! I would have wished we had this for
> other packages a long time ago. The current standard however
> discourages the use of '-' in package names for *devel, *rt,
> etc.

Is this guideline documented?

> Don't get me wrong: I don't like the way it is, but there
> is at least some consistency in not having hyphens at all
> and converting the packages would require hooks to clean up.
> Having a consistent mapping between catalogname and
> packagenames is a Very Good Thing(tm), but I don't see
> how we can achieve it with the technology we have right now.

Suppose we use hyphens for new packages, and leave the existing ones
without hyphens.  It will make the new package names suck less^W^W be
more readable, and won't cause any technical problems.  Perhaps some
day we'll have technology which allows us to migrate the package
names, if we care enough.

If you think we should create new packages without hyphens, let's make
sure it's documented and findable.