[csw-maintainers] Feedback requested for FreeRADIUS

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue Dec 7 10:17:01 CET 2010

Hi Geoff,

Am 07.12.2010 um 04:09 schrieb Geoff Davis:
> Here are some questions that I have:
> 1. Should I try to get radiusd to work as another user other than root?
> I know that OpenLDAP runs as root, but other packages like dovecot do not.

It does now but it should not:
 https://www.opencsw.org/mantis/view.php?id=1602

> 2. Should I try to split out the devel files?
> There aren't too many include files, especially compared to the data files (aka RADIUS dictionaries). Also splitting out the devel files causes some package conflicts with some bare .so symlinks included as convience links for using the modules. For example, each module is named rlm_foo-2.1.10.so (yes the version number comes before the ".so") and has a symlink included with it called rlm-foo.so. Nobody will be linking to the modules directly, and the rlm-foo.so symlinks merely exist for convenience in the configuration of radiusd. I can't figure out how to exclude any symlink named rlm-foo.so from PKGFILES_DEVEL.

I don't think it makes sense to split out devel. At the moment I see
no packages depending on FreeRADIUS.

> 3. Should I try to split out the FreeRADIUS dictionaries?
> They are required for radiusd to run so they wouldn't be an optional install. They potentially could be an archall package, but I'm not sure if I'm just making extra packages for the sake of making packages. There are a lot of them however.

Probably not. If it is mandatory there is no point in splitting.
Mirror space is not worth going through the hassle of archall.

> 4. Is it worth splitting out all of the documentation from the main package?
> 4a. If so, where do I put the documentation that pertains to the few modules that I've split out?

If you split the docs then make all docs in one package.
It is essentially your choice if you split off doc or not.

> 4b. Should the man pages stay with the main package or go into the doc package?

Definitely keep in the main package, with the exception of
section 3 which should go into devel if it is there (which
freeradius does not have), but never in the doc package.