[csw-maintainers] ITP: opencsw-policy

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Fri Dec 31 21:54:42 CET 2010

Excerpts from Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski's message of Fri Dec 31 15:44:56 -0500 2010:

> Swinging Ockham's razor, I'd think twice before I created any new
> source repositories.  I'm already tempted to create new repositories
> (for gar, for checkpkg), but I've been curbing these temptations.

Well, I'd like to keep things containerized if possible.  We already
have quite the mingling of different things in the primary svn repo
(gar, checkpkg, build recipes, sources for a few simple packages,
etc).  IMO, each of the above should be a separate repo, but I
understand why they're not.

The policy documentation will be a large enough entity that it
deserves it's own place to live, imo.

> If we decide that we need a new source repository, it will probably
> be git, unless there's a specific reason to use another VCS.  If you
> create a new VCS, you need to make sure that it'll be reliable,
> access-controlled, backed up and integrated with the rest of our
> infrastructure.

We're using sourceforge for svn and relying on their backup.  We could
do similar with one of github or gitorious (I use both already for a
few things).  Also, with a distributed VCS, each checkout is a
backup...although there is potential to lose a few commits if a local
copy is lost before sharing the changes.

Thanks