[csw-maintainers] GAR: archall - a new checkpkg module

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Feb 4 19:55:41 CET 2010

Hi,

Am 04.02.2010 um 18:17 schrieb Philip Brown:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
> <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
>>  I need to hunt down some of them and build checks based on
>> some examples.  Here's one:
>>
>>> cat /opt/csw/lib/pkgconfig/libclamav.pc
>>
>> (...)
>> Cflags: -I${includedir} -xO2 -xarch=v8 -I/opt/csw/include
>
> Hmm.. that brings up a side issue.
> Anyone know if pkg-config can handle #includes?
>
> Seems like we could benefit if the core arch-specific pkg-config
> package, would have a central shared "arch flags" type include. Then
> that line above could instead be
>
> Cflags: -I${includedir} -xO2 ${archflags} -I/opt/csw/include
>
> or something?
> It would be a double-win:
> first, we could make more things arch neutral.
> Secondly, it makes things much easier if someone wants to make
> highly-arch-tuned compilations of things.

The problem is that a derived library or application may require
different
optimizations to work, so I would prefer to leave the selection of
the optimization level to the outer library/application and include
only the absolutely necessary (read: 32/64 selection) flags in there.

It it even more strange: Some apps require higher optimization levels
(-xO4 for mutt) and some lower optimization levels (-xO1 for libmhash)
to successfully compile and pass the testsuite. Mostly this is due
to compiler bugs or badly code written code which does funky things
without using volatile.

I would go so far to consider it an error to add optimizations in
pkgconfig as they can be harmful later, much like .la-files.