[csw-maintainers] RFD: Releases and staging proposal

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Sun Feb 7 15:01:22 CET 2010

On 02/02/10, 16:26:45, Maciej "(Matchek)" Blizinski <maciej at opencsw.org>
wrote regarding [csw-maintainers] RFD: Releases and staging proposal:

> One of the larger topics during the Wintercamp in Zurich was the
> release schedule: how do we get a new stable?  Last weekend, I sat
> down and wrote up a document describing the release proposal.  It
> describes the initial problem,

Some attendees of your meeting control blocking bugs, we need less
talk and more action.

> the target mirror layout and the
> release process.  It also has a plan of how do we get there.  Here's
> the link:

> http://wiki.opencsw.org/releases-and-staging

> I'd like to thank all the people who helped by discussing,
> copy-editing and reviewing the document.

> What do people think about this design?  Should we modify it?  Should
> we implement it?  Please discuss.

This is roughly what has existed for several years.

Name changes.  The snapshot has used its date stamp name and it works
for its purpose.  Experiment means a test or investigation planned to
provide evidence for or against a hypothesis.  What we currently called
testing has release candidates and is not for proving hypotheses,
therefor testing is a better name and is the currently used and known
name.

James.