[csw-maintainers] RFD: Releases and staging proposal

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Sun Feb 7 21:37:01 CET 2010

Hi James,

Am 07.02.2010 um 15:01 schrieb James Lee:
> On 02/02/10, 16:26:45, Maciej "(Matchek)" Blizinski <maciej at opencsw.org
> >
> wrote regarding [csw-maintainers] RFD: Releases and staging proposal:
>
>> One of the larger topics during the Wintercamp in Zurich was the
>> release schedule: how do we get a new stable?  Last weekend, I sat
>> down and wrote up a document describing the release proposal.  It
>> describes the initial problem,
>
> Some attendees of your meeting control blocking bugs, we need less
> talk and more action.

Then how about assembling a list of bugs to be fixed before a new
stable?
This is one of the things which we want to fix by assigning bugs to
specific released so this list can be assembled automatically.

>> the target mirror layout and the
>> release process.  It also has a plan of how do we get there.  Here's
>> the link:
>
>> http://wiki.opencsw.org/releases-and-staging
>
>> I'd like to thank all the people who helped by discussing,
>> copy-editing and reviewing the document.
>
>> What do people think about this design?  Should we modify it?  Should
>> we implement it?  Please discuss.
>
> This is roughly what has existed for several years.
>
> Name changes.  The snapshot has used its date stamp name and it works
> for its purpose.  Experiment means a test or investigation planned to
> provide evidence for or against a hypothesis.  What we currently
> called
> testing has release candidates and is not for proving hypotheses,
> therefor testing is a better name and is the currently used and known
> name.

I am not sure if I understand you correctly. Do you propose a different
naming or a different process than what was described? That building
a catalog on testing is absolutely useless has been shown in the past
and the new experimental is already there. I suggest you specifically
point out problems in the proposal and suggest specific changes to
changes in the document like "I propose to change this paragraph
to the following words: ...". Or do you want to say we should just
keep the process as is?