[csw-maintainers] Registering packages in mantis (was Re: [csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs firefox_l10n_af, ...)

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Thu Feb 25 00:25:46 CET 2010

Dagobert Michelsen wrote on 24.02.2010 23:05:
> Am 24.02.2010 um 21:29 schrieb Philip Brown:
>> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 2:52 AM, Dagobert Michelsen
>> <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
>>> And pm_softname and py_softname?
>> pm_xxx and py_xxxx do not tend to have sub-packages. I am not aware
>> of even one.
>
> They may be subpackages of xxx, like for netsnmp or cyrus_imapd. That
> means
> they are generated in one go from the same set of sources during the
> same
> build.

>>> It should not replace the package listing. It is an additional page
>>> like /bundles/<bundle>/ which contains information about the package
>>> in general (like how to use it) and links to the packages it
>>> contains.
>>>
>>> The information should be quite easily optainable by just looking
>>> at the
>>> upstream URL in the info field: same field - same bundle.
>> I do not see a sane, easily maintainable way to do this. If I did, I
>> would add it in. But I dont see one.
>> If you want to spend time in writing up an implementation that easily
>> ties in to our existing processes, feel free.
>
> Sebastian: Is there such a concept in Mantis? If yes we can easily
> create
> the bundles out of the GAR recipes or by using the above described
> procedure
> for all other packages.

I haven't followed this thread in depth, so I still don't quite get the
exact concept and the benefits that your after. Let's talk on the phone
this week, I guess that will clear things up. Or just put together a
small wiki page, which provides an idea of the concept. I can then draw
a comparison to how it is done in Debian and what is available in Mantis.

To repeat what I already said on IRC: Mantis supports the concept of
projects (which we already use) and sub-projects. The logic for the
sub-projects was the reason why Mantis was so extremely slow before I
hacked it (sub-project logic is gone now). Unless Mantis 1.2.x provides
significant speed improvements in that area, I don't see us using them
in the near future. But tests will have to show that.

Do we need specific Mantis features at all for this or is this rather
something that would be implemented in an abstraction layer above?

Sebastian