[csw-maintainers] [POLICY] Shared library placement proposal

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sun Feb 6 15:44:11 CET 2011

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Sat Feb 05 17:08:44 -0500 2011:

> > Doesn't the word "should" imply that in well-grounded cases a
> > different approach can be used?
>
> No it doesnt.
>
> I understand what Peter F was saying, reguarding traditional RFC
> language.  But lets make our regs readable to "common folks".
>
> Example: If you mean "usually", then say "usually".  To most folks,
> "should" == "must".

I don't think this is a case where you want to dumb down the language
and make it run contrary to commonly accepted usage in other contexts
(RFC's etc).  That is asking for confusion and it would ultimate
lessen the value of these documents.

The target audience is perfectly capable of understanding should vs
must and we're not writing for anyone else.

Thanks