[csw-maintainers] [policy] files/dirs in /var/opt/csw

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Wed Jan 5 04:19:53 CET 2011

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Mon Jan 03 19:11:26 -0500 2011:

> Just to appropriately "cross link" email threads....

Ok, lets!

I inadvertently found the original[1] conversation while looking for
other old threads tonight.  The thread in February was a few messages
and then it got picked up again later on[2].  The only mention of the
/var/opt stuff was by James, early on.  It was never actually
discussed beyond the initial mention.  Therefore, it was not generally
agreed as policy at that time.[3]

> So if it works as intended, delivering stub files into var/opt, will
> be as easy as
> declaring the file as:
>
> f cswcptemplates /opt/csw/etc/templates/CSWblah/var/opt/csw/blahfile.db
> Add as many template files in as you wish, this way.

Ok, this at least makes it a somewhat reasonable approach.

I propose that we throw this to a vote.  This will give us a final
decision.  Before I craft the vote though, does anyone else have
thoughts on this issue?

Rought vote details:
- The vote will be open to active members.
- The vote will run for $x days. (I'm thinking 3 as a value for x.)
- The outcome of the vote will affect package gating/release criteria
  going forward.
- ballotbin.com worked well enough (it's not perfect) so unless
  someone has a better tool, we can use that again.
- The vote will be on whether or not files and directories may be
  delivered directly (in the prototype) by a package to /var/opt/csw/...

Thanks
-Ben

[1] http://lists.opencsw.org/pipermail/maintainers/2010-February/011201.html
[2] My mail client (sup) nicely threads the whole thing, which is hard
    to do with the online browser: http://i.imgur.com/8IQeX.png
[3] Unless it was discussed again at some other point?