[csw-maintainers] amendments and issues with recent prop

Maciej Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sat Jul 2 04:29:05 CEST 2011

I have received a suggestion for the following ballot wording:

--snip--

* For the proposal as written
* Against the proposal as written (may prefer amendments, see bio)
* Abstain

--snip--

I'm posting it here for reference, and to address the request.  I
would like to keep the ballot items as simple as possible: I accept, I
do not accept, I abstain.

I understand that the intent behind the suggestion is making sure that
voters realize what are some of the implications (or non-implications)
of certain options.  I do not believe that such wording increases
clarity.  Putting parentheses, and the phrase referring to preferring
amendments next to one option and not next to other options gives the
impression that other options may imply no amendments.

There is certain division of purpose between the writeup[1] and the
ballot.  The purpose of the writeup is to describe the higher level
goal of the vote, and potential implications of accepting or rejecting
the proposal.  The purpose of the ballot is to only to present options
and collect votes.  Items on the ballot need to very clearly refer to
options from the writeup.

As far as writing up potential implications of proposal acceptance or
rejection is concerned, there was enough time to work on the writeup.
Both sides had time to write and revise their summaries, and I believe
both received fair treatment.

Therefore, ballot will be written as shown in version 3 on the wiki[1].

Maciej

[1] http://wiki.opencsw.org/vote-release-process