[csw-maintainers] progress report

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sun Sep 11 11:41:40 CEST 2011

2011/9/11 Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org>:
>> How is it going?
>
> Slowly right now.  I'm ready to do the database adapter parts but I'm
> more and more convinced that sticking with the current db is not a
> good idea.  There is just too much cruft there.  And not enough cruft
> at the same time.
>
> I think it's time to scrap this database and rewrite the schema from
> scratch.  All hard ties in the old process between CSW (the name of
> the web db) and mantis_prod should be cut.  The update functionality
> should be split so that one process updates the web and another
> updates mantis.  This should simplify both pieces of code.

May I suggest using the buildfarm database?  If we only set up
replication from the buildfarm to the web server, we'd be done with
it.  If there's something the schema is lacking, we'd expand it.  When
I'm done with gcc (hopefully soon), I'll be ready to put some time
into coding again.

> The other _real_ gain here is that the new schema could become
> catalog, os release and architecture aware.  That's a big lacking item
> in the current browser.  With a properly normalized (including key
> constraints) database, we can also wrap it with an ORM.

The buildfarm database is partly denormalized, but that's done on
purpose.  Look into /etc/opt/csw/checkpkg.ini for credentials and have
a look around the db tables.