[csw-maintainers] ruby 1.9 madness

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Wed Feb 22 01:59:49 CET 2012

Excerpts from Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński's message of Tue Feb 21 03:41:43 -0500 2012:

> It looks like the main problem with the ruby191 package containing
> ruby -v == '1.9.3' is that it confuses users, but it works well on
> the technical level. I assume we're talking about the main ruby
> package, the one that contains the interpreter executable.

Yes, things are mostly under the covers so you won't see it unless you
look.  The things that land in bin/ are where users will spot the
oddities...although I do have the option to adjust the suffix, making
it match the output of -v even though directory names in lib/ might be
using the api version instead.

I think using a weird nomenclature on the package name and having it
pulled in via metapackage might be the nicest method if I suffix the
binaries with the api number instead of the version number.

What I find strange is that the intent of this scheme was to allow
having multiple versions of ruby, at different api levels installed
side by side...It seems to me that it would have been much easier if
they just used the package version number to accomplish this.

Thanks