[csw-maintainers] ruby 1.9 madness

Jonathan Craig jcraig at opencsw.org
Wed Feb 22 16:10:30 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 7:59 PM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> What I find strange is that the intent of this scheme was to allow
> having multiple versions of ruby, at different api levels installed
> side by side...It seems to me that it would have been much easier if
> they just used the package version number to accomplish this.

I'm sure it looked brilliant on paper.  I guess this allows multiple
versions of ruby to share .so libraries on a host.  I wonder how ruby
version manager (rvm) factors into this.  Does it handle packaging
differently, and are developers moving towards it rather than OS
specific packaging?  Regardless, I agree with you in that we should
follow the lead set by Linux and use the API version rather than the
Ruby version number.  Its awkward to have these decoupled but I
suppose ruby enthusiasts should be used to it, or get used to it.