[csw-maintainers] Killing the stable release

Maciej Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sat Mar 17 21:24:21 CET 2012

Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
> Am 15.03.2012 um 10:57 schrieb Peter Bonivart:
> > 2012/3/15 Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński <maciej at opencsw.org>:
> >> In the case of stable, there is not much breakage. Maybe the only
> >> breakage would be when someone has a machine running stable, and they
> >> want to install a new package that they haven't installed before. That
> >> wouldn't work after the rename. They'd have to reconfigure
> >> pkgutil.conf to point at stable-dead, that's all.
> >
> > Pkgutil will fail without "injury". I see two cases, you have an up to
> > date catalog, then the actual file fetching will fail and pkgutil
> > aborts. Otherwise, the catalog fetching will fail and pkgutil aborts.
> > In both cases no changes are made to your system.
>
> I suggest having three extra file
>   00PACKAGENOTFOUND
>   00CATALOGNOTFOUND
>   00MOTD

Would that be in the catalog leve? E.g. unstable/sparc/5.10

Why have them split into separate files? This could be all folded into
one record based file with a simple syntax.

> If a package could not be found the first is tried to be download and
> displayed. If it is not there nothing happens. If a catalog could not
> be found the second is displayed. The third is tried and displayed on
> every update (-U).

I also thought that the message for package not found could vary
depending on the package. For example, a note for a removed package
could be added.