[csw-maintainers] T4 crypto support in openssl 1.0

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu May 24 09:52:42 CEST 2012

Hi Yann,

Am 24.05.2012 um 09:48 schrieb Yann Rouillard:
> You should be able to use the T2/T3 crypto units using the pkcs11 engine.
> The pkcs11 is supposed to be less efficient as it requires a switch to kernel context
> (also explained here https://blogs.oracle.com/DanX/entry/sparc_t4_openssl_engine )
>

> But what is strange is that pkcs11 seems to be always enabled.
>
> Under unstable10s, with SFW openssl, we can see the performance difference:

OTOH the OpenCSW openssl also has the "dynamic" engine which the SFW openssl not has:

unstable10s% /usr/sfw/bin/openssl engine
(pkcs11) PKCS #11 engine support

unstable10s% openssl engine
(dynamic) Dynamic engine loading support
(pkcs11) PKCS #11 engine support

In general I find it preferable if you get the most out of the machine by default :-)