[csw-maintainers] Python 2.7

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Mon Jul 22 18:04:25 CEST 2013

2013/7/22 Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>:
> Do you mind committing the patch that you proposed in [1] with the
> exception of different naming schemes for 2.7, i.e. no CSWpy27- prefix?

The naming remains a problem, if we want to share modules between 2.6
and 2.7, we need to do something similar to what Debian did.

> What about CSWpython27 and co: do yo release them?

I've switched both Python versions to alternatives, so we're ready to
release them. The main problem to solve is how do we share modules
between 2.6 and 2.7.

As to why 2.6 code wouldn't work in 2.7 ‒ Python 2.7 is meant to be
backwards compatible, so there isn't an obvious example. In a perfect
world you'd just flip the switch, but in reality you cannot migrate
your production over to 2.7 without prior testing and a migration
procedure. The migration procedure would include changing
#!/opt/csw/bin/python2.6 to #!/opt/csw/bin/python2.7.

In short, you cannot make our users run 2.7 on our call. They need to
switch to 2.7 at their own schedule, and we need to make it very clear
about when we're pulling the plug on 2.6.