[csw-maintainers] Python 2.7

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Tue Jul 23 09:43:49 CEST 2013

"Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński" <maciej at opencsw.org> writes:

> 2013/7/22 Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>:
>> Do you mind committing the patch that you proposed in [1] with the
>> exception of different naming schemes for 2.7, i.e. no CSWpy27- prefix?
>
> The naming remains a problem, if we want to share modules between 2.6
> and 2.7, we need to do something similar to what Debian did.

Lets do it Debian way. Always a good reference, as you already
mentioned:
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/ch-python.html

>> What about CSWpython27 and co: do yo release them?
>
> I've switched both Python versions to alternatives, so we're ready to
> release them. The main problem to solve is how do we share modules
> between 2.6 and 2.7.

My question is: do you release 2.7?

> As to why 2.6 code wouldn't work in 2.7 ‒ Python 2.7 is meant to be
> backwards compatible, so there isn't an obvious example. In a perfect
> world you'd just flip the switch, but in reality you cannot migrate
> your production over to 2.7 without prior testing and a migration
> procedure. The migration procedure would include changing
> #!/opt/csw/bin/python2.6 to #!/opt/csw/bin/python2.7.

>From my point of view this is not very convincing but you're the Python
Czar consequently bowing to it.

> In short, you cannot make our users run 2.7 on our call. They need to
> switch to 2.7 at their own schedule, and we need to make it very clear
> about when we're pulling the plug on 2.6.

The moment of switch will be when this unstable becomes a named version,
i.e. stable. However, nothing precludes to still have legacy 2.6 modules
in it.
--
Peter