Broken login

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Mon Apr 14 15:03:00 CEST 2014

> should we use syslog to be more resilient against a new
> run erasing valuable logs?

How much data can be put in a syslog message? I was thinking about
something like this:

"running pkgutil; if this invocation runs, you can repeat it as
follows: /opt/csw/bin/pkgutil -y -i pkg1 pkg2 pkg3 ..."

This way you can go to syslog, and run pkgutil again to reproduce the problem.

Or maybe an own pkgutil log in with the same information. It could be
a long line with lots of packages, but it's 4k packages max, so still
manageable. It wouldn't crash your text editor.