Removal of CSWruby18tk from CSWruby18 build

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue Apr 22 18:29:31 CEST 2014

Hi Yann,

Am 22.04.2014 um 15:09 schrieb Yann Rouillard <yann at pleiades.fr.eu.org>:
> The rubytk doesn't compile anymore because pthread was enabled in the tcl/tk package.
> Either I enable pthread in ruby or it is disabled in tcl/tk.
>
> I didn't enable pthread in ruby as I don't know enough the impact of such a modification
> and I choose to release a new ruby package relinked against libssl because it doesn't change
> the current situation. The rubytk package is still present http://www.opencsw.org/packages/CSWruby18-tk/ and
> if it has a problem, it has been present since tcl/tk was compiled with phtread support.
>
> I talked about it with you on IRC:
>
> 14:03 < chninkel> Dagobert: other question: did you change the configuration option for the tcl/tk package ?
> 14:03 < chninkel> more precisely: did you added "--enable-pthreads" or something like that ?
> 14:04 <@Dagobert> Maybe, I reworked them a long time ago together with some other guy
> 14:04 <@Dagobert> Sorry, can't remember
> 14:04 <@Dagobert> Mmmhh.... CONFIGURE_ARGS += --enable-threads
> 14:04 <@Dagobert> Probably.
> 14:05 < chninkel> this was probably not good for the rubytk package
> 14:05 <@Dagobert> *Sigh**
> 14:06 < chninkel> I am not sure if I should enable pthreads in ruby, ask to disable threads in tcl/tk or drop rubytk
>

> What does your customer need exactly ? The ruby18_tk package is still present in unstable.
>
> I could be on IRC tonight, we could talk about it.

I remembered and also figured it out what to do.

The existing package does not work any more with some unresolved symbols.

The RubyTk requires pthreads:
  https://blogs.oracle.com/prashant/entry/ruby_and_enable_pthreads
enable pthreads is 30-50% down in performance on Ruby, solution is to use
this patch which disables switching ucontext with enabled pthreads:
  http://timetobleed.com/fix-a-bug-in-rubys-configurein-and-get-a-30-performance-boost/

I’ll add that, respin, test and push.

Best regards

  — Dago