updated binutils for solaris 9

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Fri Apr 24 12:04:27 CEST 2015

Hi Riccardo,

> Am 23.04.2015 um 08:50 schrieb Riccardo Mottola <rmottola at opencsw.org>:
>
> Hi Dago,
>
> Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
>> That depends. For gnulinks the packages are completely different so I would
>> just make a copy of trunk to branches/solaris9. For other packages which share
>> almost all of the code you may add the PACKAGING_PLATFORMS and use conditional
>> assignments. If in doubt, branch for Solaris 9 as the changes are usually not
>> needed in Solaris 10 and essentially the focus is going forward to 11.
>
> I see. I disabled solaris 9 from the trunk package again.

I just looked: you can just leave trunk alone as Solaris 10 unstable does not ship
gnulinks any more.

> Could you explain like to a newbie "copy of trunk to branches/solaris9"
>
> 1) is solaris9 the "official" name we use?

Well, there is no official naming for branches. Just name it with a sensible name,
„solaris9“ looks fine for me.

> 2) by copy do you mean "cd pencsw/binutils" and there just "cp trunk branches/solaris9“ ?

Please always use „svn“ commands to keep the history, e.g.
  svn cp trunk branches/solaris9

> 3) how do I work on this branch when I'm on solaris9 machines?

Just „cd gnulinks/branches/solaris9“ and work as you would have been in trunk/

> I understand the above procedure is some sort of svn shortcut and creates a branch for each package. I thought we had some kind of "tree" setup.

The tree is more like a convention, not a strict specification. We don’t have
a strict setup for Solaris-version-specific packages.

Best regards

  — Dago