"Please provide me with a binary for <something>"

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Thu Feb 5 01:36:12 CET 2015

I'm guessing we all get these requests every now and then. I got mine
yesterday, somebody asked me to email them the package. I added a FAQ entry
to avoid writing the same answer repeatedly, here's a handy link in case
you want it:

http://www.opencsw.org/manual/for-administrators/faq.html#please-provide-me-with-a-solaris-binary-for-something

On the other hand, our package pages are next to useless if you know
nothing about OpenCSW and land on a package page. Take this for example:

http://www.opencsw.org/packages/fossil/

Imagine you don't know how to install our packages. There is the Download
link, but it's a generic link, which redirects you to the Getting Started
page. You can click it and think this isn't the right place to click.
Looking for the word "Download" you don't find anything else on the page.
You look for "install", you also get nothing. You see "Actions" -- great,
downloading is an action! But no, you can only contact the maintainer or
view the list of files in the package. People see this, and contact the
maintainer.

Is anybody up for improving this by at least writing a sentence about how
to install a package?

Code:
https://sourceforge.net/p/opencsw/code/HEAD/tree/web/wordpresscsw/wp-content/themes/opencsw/package.php