[csw-pkgsubmissions] /newpkgs (current) dnstop, pcp

Philip Brown phil at opencsw.org
Fri Feb 19 22:32:48 CET 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 12:48 AM, Peter Bonivart <bonivart at opencsw.org> wrote:

> PCP is Solaris specific and it's the first one to be packaged, isn't
> it logical that the second one will have to adjust? If it ever becomes
> an issue.

My usual criteria for naming collision issues is not "first to
package", but "which will be expected most".
As such, in the rare occasions where this sort of thing has come up,
it is normal to poll "other software distributions", with the largest,
most public facing naming taking precedent when there is a conflict.

Thus, the prior choices made by debian and *bsd actually pull more
"weight", than sunfreeware choices.

The rational for this, as I have hinted prior, is that the largest
number of people tend to want to use our packages, to make solaris
"more like other FreeNix systems", rather than to make solaris more
unique to itself.

Do you agree with that premise?

> But none of those have Performance Co-Pilot either so who knows what
> people are looking for?

Umm. I'm a bit lost here . which "those" are you referring to?
To take one specific counter example:

Debian has "pcp-gui", which is indeed, "Performance Co-Pilot"
Similarly,

http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/pcp.html

is a "src package", but it also happens to generate libpcp... which
is, again, "Performance Co-Pilot" related

So, if "Debian" is counted as "one of those" it certainly has P.Co-Pilot