[csw-users] GNOME 2.14.3 migration update

Neal A. Lucier nlucier at math.purdue.edu
Wed Aug 23 17:08:24 CEST 2006

Mats Larsson wrote:
> On 2006-08-19 18:20, ken mays wrote:
>> gimp 2.2.12 again. Yelp is now mainly using firefox
>> instead of mozilla.
>
>> Let me know what issues you find.
>
> If I bring in latest yelp (2.12.2) with a 'pkg-get upgrade' without
> CSWfirefox installed it brings in CSWfirefox as you state but when I do
> an 'ldd /opt/csw/bin/yelp' I get:
>
>          libgtkembedmoz.so =>     (file not found)
>          libxpcom.so =>   (file not found)
>          libplds4.so =>   (file not found)
>          libplc4.so =>    (file not found)
>          libnspr4.so =>   (file not found)

I'd like to take this thread in a slightly different direction and
suggest that instead of having GNOME (yelp) depend on a full-blown
browser being installed, a new package (e.g. gnome_gecko) is created
that provides the GTK embedded mozilla[1] to all of GNOME (perhaps even
including epiphany.)

Another solution would to make each one of the individual Mozilla
Projects[2] that provide these libraries into separate packages and then
require those.

I realize creating more packages is more work for an already busy Ken,
but it would release GNOME from being bound to a specific browser just
to provide help documents.  (And I thought we hated that Windows
required IE [but we didn't mind Windows knowing how to parse/render html]?)

Just my two cents,
Neal

1. Embedding Mozilla
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/embedding/