[csw-users] conflicts between CSWqt and CSWqtgcc

James Lee james at blastwave.org
Sun May 21 12:53:17 CEST 2006

On 17/05/06, 14:49:04, Roman Maeder <gmAB.20.rmaeder at spamgourmet.com> wrote
regarding [csw-users] conflicts between CSWqt and CSWqtgcc:

> I am using the stable repository for Solaris 8 (SPARC) and have installed
> all of the kde-gcc packages. This morning i wanted to install CSWvlc,
> which pulled in a number of dependencies which conflict with similar gcc
> variants needed for KDE

> CSWqt   vs. CSWqtgcc
> CSWarts vs. CSWartsgcc

> there are now two versions of some .so libraries, such
> as /opt/csw/lib/libqt-mt.so.3 and /opt/csw/kde-gcc/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
> and some KDE apps pick up the wrong one:

> > kedit
> ld.so.1: kedit: fatal: relocation error:
> file /opt/csw/kde-gcc/lib/libkdeinit_kedit.so: symbol _ZN7QString4nullE:
> referenced symbol not found

> which can be fixed with

> > env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/csw/kde-gcc/lib kedit

Yes, it's a bug and you have found the workaround.

There was a bug about this that related to KDE and qt in general and this
specific one:
http://www.blastwave.org/mantis/view_bug_page.php?f_id=0000687
but it's closed although the problem still exists.  Ken?

> however, for others, such as knode, not even this helps, it still picks
> up the wrong one:

> env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/csw/kde-gcc/lib ldd /opt/csw/kde-gcc/bin/knode
>         libqt-mt.so.3 =>         /opt/csw/lib/libqt-mt.so.3

Strange, it works for me:

$ ldd /opt/csw/kde-gcc/bin/knode | grep qt
        libqt-mt.so.3 =>         /opt/csw/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/csw/kde-gcc/lib ldd /opt/csw/kde-gcc/bin/knode \
    | grep qt
        libqt-mt.so.3 =>         /opt/csw/kde-gcc/lib/libqt-mt.so.3

> so the system is pretty much hosed. Is this a consequence of wrong -R
> options when building the packages, or is this unavoidable, so that the
> two libraries, qt and qt-gcc cannot coexist (in which case we would need
> something like vlc-gcc for KDE)?

It should work, provided each part has the correct paths.

> Since vlc doesn't work anyway (Xsun does not support the apparently
> required Xvideo extension), I uninstalled the conflicting packages, and
> things are back to normal inside KDE.

That's another problem, I suggest you file a report with vcl about this.

James.