[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?

James Dickens jamesd.wi at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 17:31:22 CEST 2007

On 9/14/07, Ben Taylor <John.B.Taylor at sun.com> wrote:

> James Lee wrote:
>
> >On 9/12/07, 6:35:06 AM, Anil Gulecha <anil.verve at gmail.com> wrote
> regarding
> >[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?:
> >

> >>I was wondering why blastwave supports solaris 8 & above, and not 10
> >>and above?

Solaris 8 is not dead, i work for a very large corporation, and my team
maintains  140  servers,  130 of which are still running Solaris 8, with no
plans to migrate them off of it, even though Sun is  threatening to remove
support in a year or two.

1/2 of those servers are running  production apps,  and the word
"production" generates its own FUD all on its own, the developers and even
sysadmin are afraid to move on. Even though Sun swears nothing will break,
the stability of the API/ABI is what allows blastwave to do what it does but
no one is moving.

In fact most people would be hard pressed to find a reason what compiling on
Solaris 10 gives the user. I'm a huge fan of Solaris 10 and above, but
really there isn't much reason to move on. Zones, ZFS, DTrace (well for the
most part, and I will cover that next), really dont change the API/ABI so no
need to migrate. Just ship with a SMF manifest and method that only gets
installed on Solaris 10 and later.

Even with DTrace there are only a hand full of apps currently that even
benefit from being built on Solaris 10, the ones that register there own
probes perl, mozilla, and some other scripting languages and most likely
those are being added to Solaris so we wont have to deal with them and
maybe in a year or two the changes will be mainstream and we can build those
on a Solaris 10 box.

James Dickens
uadmin.blogspot.com