[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Sat Sep 15 18:50:49 CEST 2007

> On 9/14/07, Ben Taylor <John.B.Taylor at sun.com> wrote:
>>
>> James Lee wrote:
>>
>> >On 9/12/07, 6:35:06 AM, Anil Gulecha <anil.verve at gmail.com> wrote
>> regarding
>> >[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?:

> Solaris 8 is not dead, i work for a very large corporation, and my team
> maintains  140  servers,  130 of which are still running Solaris 8, with no
> plans to migrate them off of it, even though Sun is  threatening to remove
> support in a year or two.

This is the same thing that I see everywhere. Solaris 8 is out there and
LOTs of it. I recently installed a new server for a company in Montreal and
they demanded Solaris 8. Talks of anything fancy like Solaris 9 were of no
value.

If Sun wants Solaris 8 users to move forwards then Sun will need to start
beating them with a stick. That will most likely drive them to Linux which
is where Solaris users have been going for years.  Mostly because of
ignorance.

So .. the best thing to do is to shut up and let users do what they want.

Dennis