[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?

James Lee james at blastwave.org
Sun Sep 16 20:18:26 CEST 2007

On 16/09/07, 17:30:12, Paul Gress <pgress at optonline.net> wrote regarding
Re: [csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?:

> Well I guess your OS won't bloat because you need all the extra
> libraries Solaris 10 doesn't need.  What are you using for a Web
> browser, Mosaic?

Firefox 2.0.0.6 - kindly provided by Blastwave.

>  Maybe Blastwave shouldn't drop Solaris 8, but they
> should make an effort to reduce the redundant libraries in Solaris 10 by
> making different install scripts for Solaris 10, maybe something like
> looking for Firefox install from the Bejing team of Sun, or even
> existing libraries of GTK and GTK2.  Why is this so difficult, and why
> so much resistance to progress?

OK, let us consider gtk2.  From Solaris 10:

$ pkgparam SUNWgnome-base-libs VERSION
2.6.0,REV=10.0.3.2004.12.16.15.19

and from Blastwave:

$ pkgparam CSWgtk2 VERSION
2.10.11

In what way are the newer libs of CSWgtk2 resistance to progress?
The duplication is not because of Solaris 8 but because the S10
version is not current and CSWgtk2 would exist regardless of S8.
Asking to use the S10 OS libs is resistance to progress.

James.