[csw-users] Packages for Munin 2.0.0 available in experimental

Juergen Arndt ja at opencsw.org
Sat Jun 9 22:38:54 CEST 2012

Hi all,

as Munin 2.0.0 is out since end of May and some user like to see it in the OpenCSW repository, I pushed updated Munin packages into the experimental branch [1]. The packages are called now "munin_master", "munin_node" and "munin_common".

Before installing the new packages, please make a backup of your existing rrd files. They should be located under /etc/opt/csw/munin/db. The Munin developers say, that upgrading is straightforward and data loss should not occure, but better be cautious.

Until now I could only test the installation of a fresh Munin master and node, so I'd really appreciate to get some feedback about upgrading from earlier versions to 2.0.0.

After installing the packages you will see a message with the necessary steps to get the node or the master running. On [2] the installation is described a little bit more in detail (not very comprehensive yet).

As Munin 2.x now creates it's graphs only via CGI scripts, the master's new configuration file has some new options. When upgrading from an earlier version, you need to merge your existing config file with the delivered config sample (as described in the installation message too). Just copying the new options into your config should work.

The configuration for the Apache Webserver has been changed too. Now the sample config creates a VirtualHost, read it carefully. The sample config is just taken from the Munin developers. If you have other suggestions - maybe without defining a virtual host - I'm glad to include one or two alternative config samples.

After a (fresh) installation of Munin wait for the first run of the master's cronjob. Before that you will get an error message in your browser like this:
"Can't use an undefined value as an ARRAY reference at /opt/csw/share/perl/site_perl/Munin/Master/HTMLOld.pm line 656."
The CGI script has just no data to work with.

So, feedback to improve the packages is very welcome. Enjoy!

[1] http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/experimental.html#ja
[2] http://wiki.opencsw.org/munin-package

Regards
Juergen