[csw-users] Problem reinstalling gcc

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Thu May 2 17:42:30 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Pickering, Roger (NIH/NIAAA) [E]
<rpickeri at willco.niaaa.nih.gov> wrote:

> I was having problems compiling packages in R using the gcc compiler, so I thought I’d reinstall gcc and R.  Unfortunately, I’d forgotten that I’d installed gcc using pkgutil so I made the fatal mistake of just deleting the directory with gcc and trying to download the latest gcc (when will gcc be updated on pkgutil ? ) source code and compiling it.  Because I have no C compiler now I cannot compile the source code! Duh!  I tried to download the SUN Studio Compiler package, but it needs patches that I can’t seem to download, in order to compile the gcc and R source code.
>
> So I have tried to reinstall or update the gcc package, but pkgutil thinks it is still there and it’s the latest offered!  I tried to remove the gcc package, but it is marked as “in use”.  I tried the force option, but to avail.  I don’t know what else to do.
>
> Which brings up another question – if and when I reinstall a working gcc using pkgutil, do I go ahead and compile the source code so I can have an up-to-date version of gcc or wait for pkgutil to update the compiler.
>
> Anyway, I really like pkgutil – when it works!  I would really appreciate help in getting around this problem.

Could you start by posting the output of "pkgutil -V" so we can see
what OS release you have and what distribution you use because we do
have a current gcc (4.8.0) in our "unstable" catalogs.

As I'm sure you have just learned the hard way you never manually
delete package files from a system with a package manager. Solaris
still thinks the package is installed and that's why pkgutil is having
a problem with it as well. You need to use the Solaris pkg-commands
for lower level jobs, remember that pkgutil is basically just a
wrapper around mostly pkgadd and pkgrm. The latter is a good start for
you now.

/peter