[csw-buildfarm] [csw-maintainers] build8x problems

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Fri Mar 27 11:23:48 CET 2009

Hi Maciej,

Am 27.03.2009 um 11:07 schrieb Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski:

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 9:57 AM, Dagobert Michelsen
> <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> A colleague tested Solaris 8 x86 on VirtualBox and couldn't get
>> it to run stable for an extended time. The tests were done on
>> the latest VirtualBox.
>
> Right, I didn't run Solaris 8 on it.

Solaris 9, no problem, build9x is in fact a VM on ESX.

>> If this were an option we would immediately switch Solaris 8 x86
>> to VirtualBox on Solaris 10 x86.
>
> Any other options? I looked around and found information about branded
> zones, allowing to run... well, why type when I can just copy-paste:
>
> """A Solaris 8 branded zone (solaris8) is a complete runtime
> environment for Solaris 8 applications on SPARC machines running the
> Solaris 10 8/07 Operating System or later.

The important word here is "SPARC" :-( You have solaris8 and solaris9
brands on Sparc (in fact, build8s and build9s are branded zones on
the same machine as build10s is a native zone), and lx-(Linux-)brands
on x86. That means no Linux on Sparc and no Solaris 8/9 on x86.