[cfarm-admins] Offer for Sparc machines

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Wed Aug 15 21:30:58 CEST 2018

Hi Maptiste.

Am 14.08.2018 um 19:25 schrieb Baptiste Jonglez <baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org>:
> On 14-08-18, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
>> Hi Baptiste,
>>
>> quick heads up: I have setup the Sparc Server
>>  M3000
>>  32 GB Memory
>>  SPARC64-VII 2520 MHz with 4 Cores with Hyperthreading (8 Cores visible)
>>
>> I have setup 2 zones:
>>  gcc-solaris10		Solaris 10 Branded Zone on Solaris 11 System
>>  gcc-solaris11		Solaris 11 Zone
>>

>> Next steps for me (please comment if this is ok or if you have better suggestions):
>>
>> The global zone will only be accessible from our internal network, the zones
>> will have static dedicated IPs with DNS names
>>  gcc-solaris10.baltic-online.de
>>  gcc-solaris11.baltic-online.de
>> Homedirectories for users will be shared among these zones.
>
> Great, sounds perfect!  Will each zone see all CPU cores, or will they
> each get half of the cores?  The second case is probably better (i.e. no
> overprovisioning)

This is currently shared among zones and I suggest to leave it that way
as both zones are probably not fully utilized at the same time - please
keep in mind that the zones share a common kernel. There are resource
capping possibilies available if needed, but at the OpenCSW buildfarm
I never needed them.

> There will be firewall-rules in place to filter except incoming 22.
>> I notice that some hosts allow incoming 443 at
>>  https://cfarm.tetaneutral.net/machines/list/
>> Should I also allow this? Should outgoing TCP be allowed? On all target ports?
>
> Yes, please allow incoming ports tcp/22, tcp/443, udp/60000-61000 (mosh),
> as well as all outgoing TCP ports.

Done.

>> I have ordered two additional disks for mirrored home with 2 TB
>> which should arrive later this week.
>>
>> If you have SSH-keys for ansible access please send them to me.
>> Do you need this as root or should I setup sudo?
>
> Attached are the SSH keys to add as root.
>
> Thanks,
> Baptiste
> <cfarm-root.pub><cfarm-ansible.pub>

SSH Keys are installed on both machnes for root.

Here are IPs:

gcc-solaris10.baltic-online.de		213.178.77.185
gcc-solaris11.baltic-online.de		213.178.77.186

If you need special CNAMES or a different reverse lookup just let me know.

Compilers have been installed under /opt, OpenCSW packages have been installed
under /opt/csw as usual.

The zpool for the homedirs is still 146 GB for now, I’ll expand it when
the disks arrive. The homedirs should be created at /export/home/<user> once
per user for both zones and are automounted to /home/<user> on each machine
per lofs.

Mosh is installed.

Lots of other OpenCSW packages have been installed in /opt/csw but probable
some more stuff is useful, if there is something missing just let me know.

Setup is described in /etc/SETUP.

Please give it a try and let me know if something needs to be adjusted.

Best regards

  — Dago