[csw-dev] Multi-ISA GAR

Dagobert Michelsen dam at blastwave.org
Mon Mar 24 21:48:48 CET 2008

Hi Yann,

Am 24.03.2008 um 20:49 schrieb Yann Rouillard:
> I began to convert openssl to the new multi-ISA system, I have two
> comments so far:
>
> 	- the default isa install target is fine for standard programs
> using automatic-multiarch-compile
> the classic configure script but will not work for everything (and
>
> indeed not for openssl).
> 	I added a new INSTALL_EXTRA_ISA_SCRIPTS to allow to redefine the
> target
> used: see http://svn.blastwave.org/trac/changeset/1994

This is a good solution for openssl, but I don't believe
that there are any more packages built in the same way
(correct me if I'm wrong on this). I think it would be better
to solve this with

ifneq ($(ISA),$(ISA_DEFAULT))
INSTALL_SCRIPTS = $(INSTALL_EXTRA_ISA_SCRIPTS)
endif

inside the openssl-Makefile and not make a general rule out
of it. A more general solution would be

   INSTALL_SCRIPTS_$(ISA) ?= $(WORKSRC)/Makefile
   INSTALL_SCRIPTS ?= $(INSTALL_SCRIPTS_ISA)

with overwriting the specific install scripts on demand.
The thing that is disturbing me is the special handling of the default
ISA. In fact there are two default-ISAs: one for 32 bit and one for
64 bit.
This makes defining the extra-ISAS a bit ugly IMHO.

> 	- I would like to be able to not use the automatic prototype
> generation
> but I didn't see a way to disable your new automatic prototype
> generation. Could you add this option ?

This should work out-of-the-box. If the prototype is defined
in DISTFILES it shouldn't get overridden, so existing Makefiles
shouldn't break. Generally dynamic prototypes don't need adjustment
on version updates, so if there is anything missing which you need to
use them let me know what is missing and we may find a general solution.

> 	- I still have a problem building openssl, the first time I try to
> build the package target after a "gmake clean", I have the
> following error:
> 	gmake: *** No rule to make target `package-CSWossl', needed by
> `package'.  Stop.
> 	If retry "gmake package" after this error, it works.
>
> 	You'll find the debug log of the first gmake call in my home:
> ~yann/gmake_package.debug.log
> 	You'll find my automatic-multiarch-compile build tree on ra: ~yann/
> csw2/automatic-multiarch-compile/

This seems to be the same issue: dynamic prototypes. I'll make
a test environment with your openssl-Makefile and try to reproduce
this.