[csw-maintainers] Proper way to adopt / work on packages?

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Wed Dec 3 13:36:09 CET 2008

Hi,

i am currently having a look at packages that are maintained by retired
maintainers in order to adopt some of them. When i started working on pv
[1] yesterday a question came to my mind:

How do i know that no one else is putting effort in getting the same
package up to date? I would like to avoid duplicated work.

This goes along with another question: When should i commit package
changes? I updated the pv build files and built the x86 package just
fine. Then i committed the changes to SVN just to run into an upstream
bug that shows up on SPARC only (working on it).

What's the preferred way: Commit early so that ongoing work is visible
to others? Or commit only after everything builds fine?

Sebastian

[1] http://opencsw.org/packages/pv