[csw-maintainers] Proper way to adopt / work on packages?

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Wed Dec 3 13:48:01 CET 2008

Hi Sebastian,

Am 03.12.2008 um 13:36 schrieb Sebastian Kayser:
> i am currently having a look at packages that are maintained by
> retired
> maintainers in order to adopt some of them. When i started working
> on pv
> [1] yesterday a question came to my mind:
>
> How do i know that no one else is putting effort in getting the same
> package up to date? I would like to avoid duplicated work.

You can post on maintainers@ and announce that you will take it over
and start working on it.

> This goes along with another question: When should i commit package
> changes? I updated the pv build files and built the x86 package just
> fine. Then i committed the changes to SVN just to run into an upstream
> bug that shows up on SPARC only (working on it).
>
> What's the preferred way: Commit early so that ongoing work is visible
> to others? Or commit only after everything builds fine?

Commit early, commit often. An unfinished package description
is better than no package description. Even when you don't
finish it another maintainer may pick up your work later
and continue with what you already did.