[csw-maintainers] Hudson

Trygve Laugstøl trygvel at opencsw.org
Thu Dec 4 08:35:03 CET 2008

Peter Bonivart wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 9:47 PM, Trygve Laugstøl <trygvel at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> bldcat should be fixed to 1) select the latest version and 2) support
>> multiple versions in the catalog.
>
> For me this is a much larger issue than just changing bldcat. It's key
> to pkgutil that every entry in the catalog is unique so that a first
> match is enough. To make it support multiple versions wouldn't just
> make it a lot more complex but also much slower since the whole
> catalog must be parsed every time to make sure there's not another
> version present later in the catalog.
>
> Since we have always only supported the latest set of packages (in
> current and stable) I don't see why we would give away the simplicity.
> Why not do the same with testing, support the latest version of each
> package?

I only want this for the automatically built packages as the quality of
the packages *might* vary, thus you need to roll back to the previous build.

I think that this is an important part of the development process if you
actually want to get non-maintainers to test the software. If they need
to do lots of manual stuff, like wget'ing a file to get the previous
build, they won't do it. In particular as it is today where the previous
release is removed when a new one is installed.

> I have tried to implement everything any one has asked for so far but
> this feels wrong to me.

Don't get me wrong, pkg-get and pkgutil are very useful tools, but I do
hope this new concept can be supported. This process is also something
that I'm going to push for at my client as Hudson build packages on
every commit and the testers need to be able to roll up and down between
versions.

--
Trygve