[csw-maintainers] Hudson

Trygve Laugstøl trygvel at opencsw.org
Thu Dec 4 09:38:12 CET 2008

Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
> Hi Trygve,
>
> Am 04.12.2008 um 08:35 schrieb Trygve Laugstøl:
>> I think that this is an important part of the development process if
>> you
>> actually want to get non-maintainers to test the software. If they
>> need
>> to do lots of manual stuff, like wget'ing a file to get the previous
>> build, they won't do it. In particular as it is today where the
>> previous
>> release is removed when a new one is installed.
>
> How about adding one more dimension in the catalog: time. Then
> mirror.opencsw.org:/opencsw/ could look like this:
>
>    current/
>    stable/
>    testing/   manually build packages restructured from /home/testing
>    hudson/
>      REV=2008.12.12/
>        sparc/
>          5.8/
>            /<package> - might be older
>
> That means /home/hudson/packages holds all packages build by hudson in a
> flat structure and then a catalog-build-script makes hudson-subdirs for
> each day putting the packages in it. If a package is not rebuild on that
> day the latest version is used. Sounds good?

What is the gain? The package tools already have a strong concept of
versions, why not support multiple versions at the same time? I'm all
for backwards compatibility and all, but I really need a feature like
this so I don't mind running my tools with a special flag (might be nice
anyway as it indicates that I'm running development stuff).

--
Trygve