[csw-maintainers] Topics for IRL

Gary Law garylaw at garylaw.net
Sat Nov 1 13:17:42 CET 2008

Hi Dago

2008/11/1 Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org>

> Hi Gary,
> Am 01.11.2008 um 11:33 schrieb Gary Law:
>
> 2008/10/31 Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org>
>

>> > * **Source**.
>>

> (*) The project should formally adopt GAR for Sol 9 and 10 builds and make
> use of GAR mandatory for all packages.
>

> That would be good, yes. However, we have quite a mount of existing
> packages which are not in GAR and which are currently orphaned. Would
> you drop them?

Not immediately. I believe the Solaris 8 end of support is March 2009, so
I'd make that the target date for a new system. Everything built on Solaris
9, out of GAR (and with a new install path -- see below).

> If I can help you moving your packages to GAR let me know.
> Currently I am preparing some more docs and a presentation
> with an introduction to GAR to be held during IRL.

Thanks. I have an absolute pig of a package to deal with.

> (*) Can maintainers who don't attend vote?
>
> Not for the board at this time. If I got Ihsan correctly,
> it is mandatory in Swiss law for the incorporated society
> to meet in person at least once. After the founding, the
> board can accept members which have a right to vote.
> After that "remote-elections" should be possible.

Great. Please hold an all-maintainers election ASAP after incorporation. I
don't suppose it would be likely to change the composition of the board, but
would give maintainers a sense of ownership.

> > * **Release Process**.
>
> You might want to take a look at Hudson, which is a nice Continuous
> Integration server that I've used for automated builds in the past.
>

> Like this :-)
>   http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/hudson/

Oh fantastic. If you dive deep enough through the links eventually absolute
links to:
http://hudson:8070
start appearing, which don't work. Still, this is completely the right way
to go IMHO. I'll try and get my packages in there.

> <http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/hudson/>
>
>  (*) I've got one more, and this is probably going to be a little
> controversial... we should move out of /opt/csw and into /opt/opencsw.
> Blastwave Inc is still distributing into /opt/csw and the scope for end user
> confusion and incompatible software releases is huge. Although this sounds
> like a lot of work, if everything is in GAR, and everything needs to be
> rebuilt for Sol 9 in the next six months, it's really not a lot of extra
> work. I've got big reservations about maintaining stuff through opencsw that
> installs into /opt/csw.
>

> Difficult. *If* we change the prefix, then there must be a
> converter for installation to go from csw/ to opencsw/, but
> personally I would like to postpone that until we see how
> each project performs. Discussion welcome.

Like changing to GAR only, it would be impossible overnight. But set a
target date six months out, and I think it's realistic to get everything
rebuilt, out of version controlled repo, off the new minimum standard
(Solaris 9). We might loose a few packages or maintainers along the way, but
end up in a much better place for running and maintaining the project long
term. Also, what's the alternative? Having two projects targeting the same
install path? That is not sustainable going forward and the project's
credibility will suffer.

Gary

--
Gary Law